Wednesday, December 10, 2008

School Year

The school year should be shorter. Many kids live on ranchs and farms. Many of these kids have to work at home, this causes problems. Many of their grades suffer for the times that they had to be at home working. I'm not a very good example of this because it only takes me to make up a week's worth of homework. I still live on ranch which means that my parents need my help. I might miss a day of school to help wean calves. This involves at least 4 people. Sometimes moving cattle requires more than 2 people. You also have to worry about winter and where your cattle are going to be during those months. You have to wonder how much protection they will have from a strom and if they have enough to eat. You have Spring coming around the corner and many people who ranch also farm. This means that you will be getting the ground ready for the planting season. Our parents didn't start school until September and were out at the beginning of May. I mean come on how much has school changed.

I realize times have changed. We have better farm equipment and computers and all that, but it stills takes time and man power to do this. Most people don't realize how much work goes into running a ranch. You have to be all the time. If something goes wrong, it comes down to you to fix it and you can't just fix it just like that. Sometimes it will take you all day to get this stuff done. The school should be shorter for this reason.

No comments: